Bone-dry, breaking, frizzy, lifeless, blah—all of those adjectives accurately describe the recent state of my hair. (Sad but true!) What has contributed to this disaster? You name it: summer sun, summer heat, monthly coloring, age, long strands, etc.
The look I crave is straight and sleek. Since I have naturally straight hair, that part is effortless; it’s the smooth part that trips me up. Obviously, some intensive repair is in order.
Due to frequent couponing, I have an entire shelf devoted to commercially made hair care products. I have tried most of them and while they do work, none are a miracle cure. After reading about the joys of homemade oil masks multiple times, I got the urge to play mad scientist and concoct my own version.
The two-ingredient recipe could not be easier: Combine 3 Tbsp. of coconut oil with 2 Tsp. of Argan oil in a microwave safe cup. Heat for one minute. Stir and it’s ready to apply. Simple, huh? Essential oils can be added if you’re dying for scent, but I just wanted super quick and easy, so I stuck to the bare minimum.
1. Start by brushing hair so it’s free of tangles.
2. Mask can be applied to hair that’s wet or dry. I prefer the wet route. If you do it this way, make sure hair is damp but not dripping.
3. Apply mask from root to ends, saturating everything.
4. Cover with a shower cap. (Walmart sells a 10-pack of cheapie disposables that are only $2.00. Look in the ethnic hair care section.)
5. Leave on for at least an hour. For maximum results, do it overnight while you sleep.
When the timer goes off, shampoo with a moisturizing product. Some folks will need to lather twice to remove all residue, especially those with thick or curly hair. Afterwards, let it air dry. This step is key! No blow dryer, curling iron, straightener, nothing.
From a single treatment, I had a noticeable difference. With continued use, I think I can get my hair off life support and back into decent shape. Fingers crossed, anyway…
Do you have any dry hair tips?