Dreading the Cleaning for Passover marathon? Me too! I don’t know any way to avoid it entirely, but there are some ways to make it easier—particularly avoiding the harsh, heavy smells of industrial cleaners.
Here are 10 natural cleaning product alternatives, each of which can be made at home with common ingredients.
1. All-Purpose Spray: Mix equal parts white vinegar and water in an empty spray bottle, then add 2 drops of your favorite essential oil (I prefer lemon).
2. Furniture Polish: Mix 2 TBS. of olive oil and 1TBS. of fresh lemon juice.
3. Carpet Freshener: Sprinkle rugs with baking soda before vacuuming.
4. Scour Powder: Combine 1 1/2 cups baking soda with 1/2 cup laundry soap.
5. Air Freshener: Put cinnamon, cloves, vanilla extract, and honey in a small pot with enough water to cover. Heat to roiling boil, then simmer for at least 1 hour (can go longer, but must not be left unattended).
6. Bug Repellant: Chili powder, Borax, and/or peppermint oil can all be used to kill insects safely.
7. Floor Cleaner: Mix 1 cup water, 3/4 cup white vinegar, 1/2 cup rubbing alcohol, and 3 drops of dish soap.
8. Stain Remover: Use 3% hydrogen peroxide in place of bleach.
9. Window Wash: Mix 2 cups water, 3 TBS. white vinegar, and 1 TSP. dish soap. Shake well before use.
10. Brass Cleaner: Dampen a cloth with white vinegar. Sprinkle with salt and buff clean.
This list just skims the surface, obviously. A quick google search will return hundreds of additional recipes!
Have a great homemade cleaning tip? I’d love to hear it!